Formal upright is the most fundamental style in bonsai.
- Believed to be the first style
- Difficult to execute correctly
- Not very common style today
- Trunk is straight with gradual taper, front 1/3 to 1/2 exposed
- 1st branch is at 1/4, 1/3, or 1/2 the height of the tree and facing slightly forward
- 2nd branch is on the other side of the tree slightly higher and facing slightly forward
- 3rd branch to the back and same distance from the 1st branch as 1/2 the distance from the first
branch and the pot.
- Continue up the tree in the same rotational style getting closer and closer together with the branches.
- Nebari should be all the way around the tree.
WHERE TO PLACE THE FIRST BRANCH?
Fibonacci sequence can be used to determine the height of the tree vs 1st branch location:
1+1=2, 2+1, 3+2=5, 4+3=7, 5+4=9, 6+5=11
Golden ratio is found throughout nature (a:b :: b:a+b)
1.618 (is the rounded off numeric representitive) X 1st branch = tree height
0.618 X height is first branch.
Powerpoint file from Kenn: Chokkan Powerpoint